Saturday, February 26, 2011

Age of consent

Sorry for not posting yesterday, but it was my friend Phillip's 21st birthday, and we were having his party at my house, so I had to prepare, but it got me thinking about today's post.

So what is it about age that suddenly makes us responsible. For some reason at midnight at on our 21st birthday, we suddenly become responsible enough to by alcohol. What is it that changes in our brain chemistry at the one sudden moment that makes us different. Is it suddenly we are responsible? Or is it that it gives us control over the masses?

Is it the same with sex? We teach our children from the earliest ages that they have the right to say no to someone touching them where they don't want to be touched. We teach them the difference between good touch and bad touch, but while we give them the right to say no, we don't give them the right to say yes. We tell them that until they are 18, or whatever the age is in that state, that they don't know the difference, and that they should say no to everyone. We tell them that they don't know what good touch is.

And while I agree that we should teach our children about sex, if we are going to give them rights over their body, then we need to give them rights. Now, I am in no way approving of molesting children, and I hope you are not getting that idea. What I am saying is that every person is different. I have met people in their 20's that cannot distinguish between good sex and bad sex. So why can there not be teenagers that have the maturity to distinguish between good sex and bad sex. I will say, I do not know the answer to this one. I don't know how we change our laws to give all citizens, no matter their age, the inherit rights that all people should have. Or at least, that's as I see it now.....


paypal kendal_emery@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment