Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Crime and Punishment in the USA

So, one of the founding principles of our society is the punishment of those that go against our morals and beliefs. We also believe that our citizens should be protected against excess punishment, and that the punishment should match the crime. Well I have several ideas that would help in the punishment area.

First of all, I think that all general intent crimes should immediately be made un-constitutional. Why you may ask. I don't think you should be punished for a crime that you didn't have the criminal mind to commit. So I think we should have two basic levels of criminals. Those who intend to commit a crime, and thus know that they are going to have a punishment for it. Say, murder in the first, or well any murder, assault battery, you know things where you know you are hurting someone else, and don't care. And maybe criminal history should play a part, but it should be looked at in the whole picture. So take my case for example. Yes, I have a criminal history, but was 19 years ago, and has absolutely no bearing on the present case.

So I think that punishment should match the crime, and that crimes should have a specific intent, and that if you can't form specific intent for what ever reason, then you shouldn't be held as a criminal. Or at least, that's as I see it now....

paypal kendal_emery@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment